This IS Literacy is an initiative of London's Child and Youth Network's Literacy priority. The goal of the literacy priority is to ensure children, youth and families in London develop strong literacy skills and competencies needed to fully participate, engage and thrive throughout their lives.
London’s vision to “make literacy a way of life” focuses on improving collaboration among home,school and community through the following strategies:
- Engaging parents and caregivers in awareness and promotion of literacy
- Supporting community partners with professional learning and practices
- Promoting literacy from birth
- Improving literacy in the school age years
- Improving youth literacy
Some of the accomplishments of the CYN Literacy priority include:
- Developing the award winning Baby’s Book Bag in conjunction with the Kiwanis Club of Forest City-London. More than 12,000 bags have been produced and distributed to families since 2009
- Educating and promoting family literacy to families across London via the community's It all Starts with Words / 2000 Words to Grow literacy education campaign
- Engaging over 700 young people across the city to share barriers, supports and solutions for success with leadership and high school graduation.
- Conducting a literature review to understand literacy and transitions to high school to support the development of a neighbourhood-based Literacy-focused Grade 7 & 8 Wraparound initiative
- Conducting research and an analysis to understand implementation options for a Community-wide, coordinated model to increase secondary school graduation rates
- Increasing quality conversations between parents and kids with Grocery Store Conversations at 14 grocery stores across the city
- Annual Family Literacy Conferences to increase professional learning for educators, child care providers and other community partners.
- Child and Youth Agenda report, The Best for our Children, Youth and Families
- CYN Youth Framework
- 2016 Progress Report
- 2017 Progress Report
- Youth Literacy Programs: A Review of the Literature