There are many wonderful books of poetry readily available, and many are aimed at children. Here is a short list of some great poetry books to get you started. They are a lot of fun - especially to read aloud - and chidren enjoy the rhythm, rhyme, sound and beat in poetry, as well as the story behind the words.
- Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee
- Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
- Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat edited by Nikki Giovanni
- Silly Books to Read Aloud: Books That Will Have Adults and Kids Laughing Together by Rob Reid
- Wee Rhymes: Baby's First Poetry Book by Jane Yolen
- Forget-me-nots: Poems to Learn By Heart compiled by Mary Ann Hoberman
- Good Sports: Rhymes About Running, Jumping, Throwing, and More by Jack Prelutsky
- and many more...