One of the best ways to get to know a country, its history and its culture is by reading its literature and non-fiction. For newcomers to Canada, there are lots of programs that focus on practical skills such as literacy in English or French, and job-hunting. Those skills are very important, but there is much more to becoming Canadian.
Join Us is designed to fill this gap. To get started, we brought together librarians, educators and book lovers from across the country and they have recommended 10 wonderful books for children and young adults.
- An Aboriginal Carol by David Bouchard
- When I Get Older: The Story Behind "Wavin' Flag" by K'naan with Sol Guy
- The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
- Suki's Kimo by Chieri Uegaki
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- Dear George Clooney, Please Marry My Mom by Susin Nielsen
- Fatty Legs: A True Story by Christy Jordan-Fenton and Margaret Pokiak-Fenton
- Hoping for Home: Stories of Arrival by various authors
- Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel
- Paul Has a Summer Job by Michel Rabagliati
To learn more about this program and to download a facilitator's guide for each of these books, click here